Search This Blog

Friday, July 8, 2011

Perfect restriction...for me

I read a post be the wonderful Amy W. yesterday about the elusive green zone.  We talk a great deal about restriction here in Bandland.  We've even heard that we shouldn't worry about restriction because that isn't what makes the band so effective.  Despite that, for most of us the idea of restriction is a critical part of our understanding of the band.  We want good restriction.  We bemoan being too loose.  We worry we'll never hit the sweet spot.  We fret when we must have an unfill for some reason.

Let me tell you a secret: I have .7 ccs (point seven as in 7/10th of one ml.)in my band.  Shhh....don't tell anyone.  And guess what else: I'm perfect ally fine with it.  How can that be?  Doesn't that mean that I can eat bread and pasta and rice and pizza?  Yes, I can eat all of those things.  I can also take moderately big bites and I don't have to chew everything to the consistency of baby spit.  I don't eat so slowly that the people I'm eating with are ready for their next meal by the time I finish my first one.

To be honest, I feel a little ashamed to admit these things.  Not because they are shameful, but because I know that technically speaking that isn't exactly how the band is designed to work.  I've heard people say that their surgeon's office tells them that they will never eat bread, rice, or pasta again.  I've read many blogs where the writer is planning a fill BECAUSE they ate two pieces of pizza or they were able to eat a piece of bread. 

 I don't offer this information to suggest that my way is the best way.  I just want to put it out there that there are different ways of viewing restriction.  What I consider good restriction, you might consider bandster hell, but it works for me.

I think it comes down to eating behavior.  I need my band to help me keep my portion sizes in check and that's what it does for me.  Pre-band I would sit down to a meal with a full plate, clear it and get another plateful.  I would happily munch away on several pieces of bread with my meal.  At a restaurant I'd have a salad, bread, the entire entree, (diet) soda and possibly dessert.  My meals were not necessarily made up of unhealthy foods, but they were definitely much too big.  I didn't stop eating when I was physically full.  Eating between meals wasn't really my problem.  I didn't graze or snack all that much and I still don't.  With the Lap-band, I cannot eat the same quantity of food.  I physically cannot do it.  I do not need the band to restrict the types of food that I eat.  I do not believe that any foods need to be off-limits because I can't handle them.  I do not believe in "good" or "bad" foods. 

So that is what perfect restriction means for me.  What is perfect restriction for you?

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Great post!!

I have been pondering over this myself since reading Amys post.

I am not sure. I can eat most things! I avoid a few things mainly because I should.

I think I have good restriction it is my head that some times causes me issues!

Jacquie said...

I like your way much better. When I had my band, I was unfilled so much that is pretty much how I rolled too! You look great by the way!

Cat said...

I considered before getting my second fill not getting one, because I, like you, like to roll a bit looser. I don't want to have to paste every bite up in my mouth before swallowing, and I don't want to not be able to take a few big glugs of water after a workout. The thing I understand is that the band is supposed to keep you from hunger for about 4 hours. I am getting hungry again (full belly rumble hungry) about ever 3 hours, I'd like that to go a bit further, but even then, I have a small 100 cal or less snack and I feel fine again until the next meal. So... I'm thinking of staying at my current 2 fills and calling it done, at least for now. : )

kagead said...

I think this post should be required reading for anyone even considering being banded. Nicely, done!

Rhonda said...

I'm inclined to agree with you, the thought of being too tight is scary for me! I'd rather be able to eat anything and just moderate myself as best as I can than have to eat sliders 24/7 to get any calories.

Kristy said...

I think where you are is perfect! Right now, Im more restricted because I cant control myself, but I hope to one day be where you are :)

Darlin1 said...

Great post Amanda!

For right now today, I am on the tighter side but as I get closer to my goal, I will work it just like you do!

MandaPanda said...

Great post! I've postponed several fills because as long as I'm still losing, even if I still eat anything (and don't really want to give up bread forever), I feel the band is working for me. For me, it's when I go looking for food that I think a fill is in order. I am a boredom eater so it's been tougher for me to discern real hunger from head hunger but it seems like when I go looking for snacks, I need a tweak.