Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Maintenance is...

Maintenance is kind of a weird thing, but in a good way.  I have weighed about the same weight (+/- a couple lbs.) for several months.  I've considered myself at goal since December, but I've lost 14 lbs. since then so I'm not sure that really counts. 

I suspect this is the longest period in my life in which I've been at the same weight.  Always before I was gaining or losing.  I stayed within a range of about 40 lbs. (between 119 and 155 or so) for most of my life.  But from month-to-month and year-to-year, I was up and down.  I still looked "normal".  I wasn't overweight, at least not until I hit my 30's when I really started gaining weight.  Then I put on 100+ lbs. in seven years.  Some of it through pregnancy, but most of it through just throwing up my hands and giving up.

So it is really strange to see the same numbers month after month.  At first, it frustrated me because I'd still like to lose another five lbs. or so, but I am pretty sure that wouldn't make much difference and it isn't going to happen without a bunch of effort I don't really want to put in SO I have learned to be okay with where I'm at.  More than okay, very pleased to see that my eating plan and lifestyle or working for me.

I haven't been logging my food for a while so it is also nice to see that I am not deluding myself into thinking I am eating okay when I'm actually gaining.  I put on 70 lbs. that way so I'm glad my Lap-band combined with my efforts really seem to be keeping me right where I want to be!  I have spent several weekends out of town lately, either camping or staying in hotels and eating out, but I'm still holding steady.  I feel really free!    

Thank you guys for all your nice responses to my Arglefark post yesterday.  I appreciate knowing I have you guys around to commiserate with me!

14 comments:

Shannon said...

im glad you are doing so well maintaining! I dread trying to do that

Rachel said...

You are a mentor...and an advocate. I've appreciated your comments and kindness. I'm glad its all working out for the long run.

Steph said...

once again we are in the same type of situation. Maintainence really isn't as bad or as hard as i thought it would be. I have that 3 or 4 lb fluctuation, but I hang out in the same general area and I'm fine with it. I think this is the first time I've ever been happy with being a certain weight.

Good for you Amanda!!

CHRISTINE said...

Wow, You feel free, what a nice way to feel.

Rhonda said...

You're so great, Amanda. I'd say keep fighting the good fight, but you don't have to fight anymore - that's the best part! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post. I worry about hitting that 'magic' number and then starting to gain again. Thanks for giving me hope.

Cat said...

I'm worried that maintenance will be boring. I worry that without the drive to see lower numbers on the scale I won't have the motivation to do what's working for me now. I definately have to say I'm hopeful with both you and LBG being active community members even through maintenance that I have hope that I can sustain my loss long term. Thank you Amanda.

MandaPanda said...

I don't really know where I want to land yet; I just know I'm not there yet. You are living exactly the way I want to live with the band. Overall, I want it to be a smooth transition that just lets me LIVE.

Sandy said...

I've been watching the same number for a year now and feel the same. Maybe we should just accept it or maybe dig deep and lose more. A conundrum. I say, whatever makes us feel good.

~Lisa~ said...

Maintenance... I can't WAIT to experience that!!

Sam said...

I can't wait until I can right this post :o)

Fluffy said...

Hi Amanda! Your email address wasn't on your comment, so I'm hoping you find this here. Thanks for stopping by my blog and reading. There's a related post that I linked to about divorcing the scale. For many weighing isn't an issue. I found that it was for me. It was influencing me in negative ways when in reality the little fluctuations were not impacting me physically in any way -- just mentally. So I stopped. I think the last time I weighed was the Nov/Dec of 2010 and I was 129. Then I got weighed at the dr's in May of this year and was 130 with my clothes on. So it's something that is working well for me. Let me know if you have any more questions and congratulations on all your hard work!

Vanessa said...

Looking forward to catching up your blog! I thought I was the only one. Happy you found me!
Looking forward to hearing more about maintenance ~ i have 50 +/- to go!

Samantha said...

I agree with Cat. I want to thank you and others who are in maintenance mode for continuing to blog. Letting us know how that goes for you goes a long way to letting me know it's all worth it!