Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The glass is half empty

I hate my scale!  That stupid POS says I weigh 164.2 (74.6 kg.) today which is a loss of 1.8 lbs. (.8 kg.) from last week.  This is the first time I've seen a new low since June 1st.  So why am I hating the scale?  Because I just know that NEXT week I'll be up and it will probably be another two months before I see this low again.

Am I a pessimist or what?  Why can't I just enjoy this new low?  After all, I lost consistently for a year until I hit this annoying new low, gain, gain, lose but not to the new low, new low pattern.  I know that I don't lose 1.8 lbs. a week anymore.  The fact is I was sick on Monday and didn't eat much.  This is an artificial low and next week I'm going to get on the POS scale and it will be up and I'll feel like crap about myself.

The really stupid part about it is that I am pretty happy with my appearance most of the time.  I don't really need to lose any more weight.  But we can never be too rich or too thin, right?  I wish I didn't need to weigh myself anymore, but "they" say that we should weigh ourselves at least once a week in order to maintain our weight loss.  Plus I get weird about the scale when I haven't weighed in a while.  I start imagining that I've gained all kinds of weight.

So apparently I can't win.  If I weigh myself, I'm not satisfied with what I see and if I don't weigh myself, my imagination gets the better of me.   

11 comments:

Theresa said...

You already have won! You are doing great, don't over think it!

MandaPanda said...

I'm a little confused. Are you still trying to lose or are you maintaining? You look FABULOUS but only you know if you're at your maintenance weight or not. Either way...you see the scale pattern so you shouldn't let it get you down. Knowing what to expect can take the power away from the scale. And maybe you don't even need a scale at this point. You're tracking, you're eating the way you "should", maybe it's time you and the scale went your separate "weighs" (lol. bad pun. sorry) or you only weigh yourself every other week or once a month or something. Try not to get down. YOu're doing great!

Pamela E. Williams said...

You are doing so well, you probably won't be up next week.

Shannon said...

I think we all have a love hate relationship with the scale. Try to be possitive :)

glad you are feeling better

Anonymous said...

You could throw your scale in the lake like I want to do to mine! Not helpful? Sorry.
YOu look wonderful, do not let that nasty scale get down.

Sandy said...

I feel the same way. I feel good at 170 so why bust my ass to get lower. I think it is still the perception that we should always try to be a lower weight. Please see the glass as half full. Being kind to ourselves is our first step. It's such a personal choice. Go with what feels right.

Lee Ann said...

You are at goal, you are MAINTAINING so don't let that scale steal your joy.

Silverhairedgoddess said...

Yes, the scale can really bring you down or lift you up depending on which way its going :)!

You're doing great - try not to be so hard on yourself - after all these darn bodies of ours have minds of their own - just eat right and exercise - and you will do great!

Sarah said...

I hear you! I've been suck forever. It's so frustrating. We are exactly the same weight today! How funny. You've done such a fantastic job.

Lyla said...

Why not try weighing every two weeks? It might take some of the power away and also give you confidence in how much your eating habits have really changed.

It is frustrating to see a low and know it will take a while to see again (I'm there now too, though it takes two or three weeks instead of two months). But it happened, and that's an accomplishment.

Cat said...

(Late comment, I was on Vacation) Amanda, you are gorgeous as you are. I completely understand the loathing of the scale, but also that it is a necessary tool to keep up with your maintenance. I really hate the scale, even if I've had a good week healthwise. I'm always afraid it's not going to show how hard I've worked and the good choices I've made. Don't let it get to you dear, you're amazing and I am so grateful that you still share your journey with us!