Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2015


Oh my goodness, I am FINALLY able to eat!

It was five weeks and three days. 

Last week I was frantically trying to get the attention of my surgeon's office.  I sent emails.  I called every day.  Finally they referred me for an upper GI.  I scheduled that and then the imaging office called to say they recommended that it be schedule two weeks out because they didn't have insurance approval yet.  I called the insurance company and literally broke down.  I sobbed to the poor guy on the phone. I explained that I hadn't eaten since surgery on February 18th. He told me to have the surgeon's office send the request as urgent so I did that and then rescheduled the appointment for Thursday. 

I was so distraught that we decided to cancel our planned long weekend at the beach.

And then somehow, somewhere, the heavens opened up and for some miraculous, unexplainable reason I was able to EAT!  It started with a couple of bites of Top Ramen noodles.  I was eating a bit of the broth that my daughter hadn't eaten on Saturday and I ate a couple of spoonfuls of noodles too. 

And I didn't puke.

Later I was at a church thing with my daughter and they served PIZZA for dinner.  I didn't want to sit there with nothing on my plate so I took a slice.

I took really small bites and chewed and chewed and chewed and...


Today for lunch I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on wheat bread and some Doritos.  I also had a cookie and a piece of candy.

Yes, I know I eat a lot of junk food.  I'm not ashamed.  I work it into my food plan under normal conditions.

I instructed my fella to get us another beach reservation for the weekend and he did, but it is going to cost more.

I don't even care.


So what the heck was going on with me?

The only thing that I can come up with is that the nausea and vomiting were related to the shape my stomach was in and not related to my lap band.  When the band was repositioned, my stomach had herniated through the band and was apparently really aggravated.  Maybe I even had some sort of infection going on.  I kept saying I didn't feel like food was getting stuck, but something was making me sick.  Also I was able to eat with the Zofran (I know I just typed a whole page about how I hadn't eaten for all that time - LIES!), although I was still getting sick, even with the Zofran.

SOMETHING was going on.

I'm still having the upper GI on Thursday morning to make sure the band is in the right spot.  I will keep you posted!

But for now, I am so happy and unbelievably relieved.  I'm not saying food is the only good thing in my life, but when you can't eat without getting sick, it is like all the happiness has been sucked out of life.  I was worried and anxious and afraid I'd lose my band.  When I ate the pizza last night, it was seriously like someone turned on a light switch.  I felt happy and friendly and felt like my normal self!


The Cozy (not crazy) Coconut said...

What a wonderful relief for you to be able to eat and feel nourished and full! I am SO very happy for you an happy that you have finally gotten the chance to enjoy eating again. I know a little about how you feel as my stomach is jacked up right now. There were times where I just wanted to eat something b/c I was so hungry, low on energy and patience, and just wanted to EAT and feel good again but my stomach would simply not accept it. It rejected whatever I tried to eat and drink. I know that great relief when you can finally eat something and it stays there! So sorry you have had to go through this, but I hope this is a page turned and you never go back there! So happy you are better today!

Amy W. said...

That is so good to hear and I am glad you are following up with the upper endoscopy. It's still so strange that it took you so long to be able to eat again ya know?

Bonnie said...

So glad that you are feeling better!