Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Soggy Monday

It is raining in Oregon.  Shocking, I know.  But even for Oregon, this rain is spectacular.  It is pouring, giant droplet of rain.  The sky is gray.  The leaves are falling.  La niña is planning to bring us months and months of cold, wet weather.  Ugh!

Halloween is coming and my girls and I spent Saturday at Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul, trying to come up with costume ideas.  We don't usually shop there, but tough economic times call for creative measures.  It was actually kind of fun.

I am trying to must up some enthusiasm for the upcoming holidays.  I've posted before about my precarious finances and I can't report any improvement.  My fella has been out of work since last December.  I am hoping he can at least get some sort of temporary holiday job.  If he doesn't, things are going to be kind of dismal.

I am trying to adjust my mindset.  I want to look forward to the holidays for the family, the music, the decorations - all things that are free.  But I can't help feeling like there isn't much to look forward to.

I feel bad for my kids.  Why does it have to be like this?  We have friends that are pretty well-off.  They spend thousands on sports and fun activities.  I am jealous.  And I'm ashamed of my jealousy. 

I know this sounds depressing, but overall I am okay.   Weight-loss and food are good.  I did some fun stuff over the weekend and last week.  I have good friends and a great family.  Things will get better.

11 comments:

Heather said...

The kids will remember more of the free adventures that you have had as a family than what item they got for Christmas 2007. You are teaching the kids values and not materialism. These are lessons that are very important in life.

Jealousy is something that plagues us all at times. We are better than that, but it still raises its ugly head every once in awhile. Don't let it plague you, because you never know what goes on behind closed doors.

Lonicera said...

I much admire the dignity with which you tell us these things, and I agree with Heather that you probably notice it more than your children do. And also that most of us are victims of the green-eyed monster. But your overall message is how good it is to feel normal... and here is where I'm jealous of YOU.
Caroline

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Ah yes - jealousy. No shame in it - it's human. Learning to be happy FOR people is a tough skill...but you'll get there. And things will get better.

Bonnie said...

It's only natural to feel jealous. I'm so sorry for your tight finances. As much as you try to focus on what is really important about Christmas, not having money does make it more difficult. However, I do agree with Heather that eventhough kids think the presents are what's important, it's the great times that are remembered.

Tina said...

I hope things get better Amanda but like everyone says-the jealousy thing is quite normal..and I think most people feel it about something at sometime or another (I know I do!).

I know your kids will get more out of the things you do and the caring you provide then any item would. Some of my fondest memories from my childhood are of the creative things my mom did when we were flat broke. My favorite is a picnic lunch to the sound (we lived in Seattle). She packed PB & J sandwiches, popcorn off the stove and koolaide. It was the best lunch ever and it was the only things we really had in the house before payday.

Intel announced they would be hiring 1000 employees soon (I don't know what his skills are specifically but thought I would pass that along)

xxxooo

MandaPanda said...

Just wanted to lend support. My family is paycheck to paycheck and struggling as well. I know how you feel about wanting to give your kids the world or even just get them on par with some of their friends. Like others have said, for them...it really is about the memories. I remember fantastic christmases at my house...some gifts I remember if they were something I REALLY wanted (got a bunny one year) but the best memories are baking the cookies, hanging the lights, decorating the christmas tree...all that fun stuff that I still do with my kids.

InWeighOverMyHead said...

I have a LOT of tips on how to provide a great xmas on a low budget. I totally understand how you feel.

CHRISTINE said...

I too admire your dignity. Hubby has been off work for only 2 mo and we have no kids at home. It is very hard to not give your kids all you want. Hang in there is a light.

Perry Joyce said...

Hiya Skinny! Thanks for your super sweet comment! I meant to stop by the other day to comment on your Ducks beating the crap out of my Bruins but I was too busy hiding my tail between my legs. Good lord, that was a brutal game! Glad you had fun though! I'm all for Oregon being the champs this year, they may be PAC-10 rivals but they are DAMN good. And they aren't USC! =)

Libby said...

Amanda,

Thanks for visiting my blog! I have been following you for a while. Your success has been really inspiring. I hope I can post similar results.

I haven't settled on the exercise thing yet. Still trying to work it out but your suggestions are very helpful. I really need to get it together soon.

Sandy said...

I am so sorry you are feeling down and hope it gets better for you. When my kids were little (7 and 9) we were pretty broke and couldn't afford for them to go see Phantom of the Opera with the school. Twenty years later, they don't even remember it. You are so right about celebrating the free things in life. But it is so hard when all their friends are enjoying all the cool things. Be honest with them and they will probably understand. And hopefully the sun will come out in Oregon soon.